Monday, May 19, 2014

NOAH WAS A GREAT MOVIE

Russell Crowe is one of my favorite actors.  Not only can he act, but when he takes the screen, I find myself drawn into the narrative. Russell Crowe’s talent and professionalism help me believe that he is the character being portrayed.  This was the case in Gladiator (2000), A Beautiful Mind (2001), The Quick and the Dead (1995), Robin Hood (2010) and Noah (2014).  

Maybe this is my male suburbanite way of escaping through movies or maybe there is something about what Russell Crowe brings to his characters that connects with me on a deeper level.  What is that deeper lever?  Maybe a bit of Russel’s work on the screen reminds me of the man that I want to be?  

The essence of the story line is that God is important to Noah.  The level of importance commands Noah to do things that make no sense for his lifestyle or the people around him.  On one level, he would appear driven and fanatical to people that were not participating in this plan.  Yet on the other hand, isn’t this the kind of single-minded focus that we all believe is the main ingredient for success?  

I won’t give the movie away, because if you have an interest you may want to see it and be surprised and entertained.  By the way, the word, “entertained” is key to appreciating the movie, Noah.  This is a Hollywood product meant to make money by entertaining the viewer.  Using a Biblical character (not a Biblical story line), may cause concern for the Biblically literate purists.  If it does then keep this in mind.  I don’t think Hollywood employs preachers or theologians.  They employ great story tellers.  Creative license allows the industry to tell all kinds of stories even those that are a bit off center from what I hold to be true.  

In talking to one friend about the movie, a concern was expressed that the viewers who don’t know the story of Noah would be misled in matters of faith.  I agreed with that statement but not with the concern and here’s why.  Is it the movie maker’s job to communicate the truth of my faith?  No, it’s my job!  As stated earlier, “the essence of the story line is that God is important to Noah”. If I believe as Russell Crowe’s Noah believes, (and as Noah of the Bible believed) then you should expect to read about me doing some seemingly crazy things.  To carry the point further, we as believers should be doing crazy things.  Isn’t it true that congruent action corroborates a belief system?  So what kind of crazy things could or should believers do in this situation?    Take some friends to see the movie and then have a conversation about it.  If there is an interest in things spiritual, then you have an open door to tell the story right.  With this approach, the movie can have a great impact but the heavy lifting is up to you and me. This approach is meant for those who stand on the side of art and or entertainment having evangelistic value.

I loved the special effects, the acting and the scenery.  I wasn’t around when God talked to Noah, nor did I see how the ark was built.  But through the creativity of CG, I was given another reason to consider and believe in the miraculous nature of the entire story.  
The last thing that I will say on this subject has to do with how Russell helps me step into his job.  During the movie, I was convinced that Noah believed in a real God that has real power and that power works in realtime.  Can I say the same about my normal non-cinematographic life in North Atlanta?  Can you?

No comments: